Who We ARE:
The Philadelphia High School for Creative and Performing Arts is a public high school in South Philadelphia on the Avenue of the Arts.
Students major in one of seven areas: Creative Writing, Communication Technology (MDTV), Instrumental Music, Visual Arts, Theater, Dance, and Vocal Music. The school, commonly referred to as CAPA, is currently located on South Broad Street, in the old Ridgeway Library.
What We DO:
We nurture the creative talents and aspirations of students within an academic/arts college preparatory program. In a multicultural environment, we provide a comprehensive and sequenced program of study in six arts disciplines, as well as rigorous pre-college academic instruction across the curriculum. Our graduates will demonstrate mastery of defined skills that enable them to be productive, self-directed, lifelong learners who appreciate and respect diversity.
How YOU join US:
Advanced or proficient scores on PSSA in reading and math; 80th percentile or higher on national norms; excellent attendance and punctuality; no negative disciplinary reports; successful audition in chosen art field.
CAPA’s Points of Pride:
• 97% college acceptance rate for seniors
• Dancers participate in the Channel 6 Thanksgiving Day Parade & national/international dance competition
• Award-winning literary magazine
• Vocalists perform in local/regional events & earn first-place recognition in choir competitions in Boston and New York
• Instrumentalists participate in District, state, and regional orchestras/bands
• Visual artists produce award-winning work
• Theater department provides literacy-focused activities for elementary schools
Take a look at this promo created by 10th grade CTE student Kaila A.